Tuesday, December 16, 2014

#curlyhairdontcare Naturally Curly Routine

I feel like all of us naturally curly girls are in a secret cult or something. You know it, I know it.

For most of my life, I felt like I only looked pretty when I flat ironed every last ringlet until my hair was straight as a board (and supa fried eek). That is not healthy mentally or healthy for your head of hair! Lately I have been embracing what my momma gave me and rocking my curls, more often than not! Here are some products and tips I've learned along the way. #curlyhairdontcare

If you have naturally curly hair, you know what I'm talking about when I say the STRUGGLE IS REAL!








This is my routine on the days I wash my hair and plan to wear it natural.

Washing/Conditioning/Applying Products
  • I shampoo and condition about every 3 days. Right now I am using Redken's All Soft Shampoo and Conditioner and it is doing amazing things. My hair gets a ton of moisture but doesn't feel weighed down. My fav drugstore shampoo/conditioner is Pantene's Beautiful Lengths line. I know all the jazz about how Pantene is the devil but I don't care because it makes my hair look nice and we all know that good hair is worth dealing with the devil ;). 
  • About once a month I will use a clarifying shampoo. Not picky here. The one I am using now is by Suave.
  • Three to four times per month I like to use a deep conditioning mask. Two favorites are Macadamia Oil Deep Repair Mask and the L'Oreal Repair 5 Mask. Sometimes I leave them in overnight, sometimes I just let them absorb while I do my thing in the bath.
  • Regardless, I always comb my hair with a wide-tooth comb or tangle teaser while the conditioner is still in my hair in the shower. I just keep my comb in my shower for easy access.
  • When I get out of the shower I wrap my hair in a cotton T-shirt to absorb all the excess water. T-shirts are way better for your hair than towels and will prevent frizz. It helps to have a designated shirt to keep in the bathroom and just wash it when you wash your towels.
  • Next, I take my hair down and put a leave-in-conditioner in it. I swear by HealthySexyHair's Tri-Wheat Leave-In. I also like Redken's Extreme Anti-Snap Leave-In but I try to only use it about once a week because I don't want to overload my hair with protein.
  • I then work about a quarter sized amount of argan oil starting at the ends and moving up. Josie Maran's 100% Argan Oil is my fav but I also like the Macadamia Healing Oil.
  • Last, I put either a curl-defining mousse or cream into my hair. I start at the ends and scrunch my hair upward. I recommend Suave's Captivating Curl Mousse or Macadamia's Reviving Curl Cream.
  • The last step is to blow-dry hair using a diffuser. I bought a diffuser attachment for my blowdryer from Ulta for under $10. The trick is to touch the hair as little as possible to avoid frizz and to make sure to hold the hair to the head to create volume and define curls.

Bonus tip: On days I know I am going to wash my hair, I will apply a mixture of organic coconut oil and vitamin E oil to my hair before I go to the gym and then wash it out when I get home for a extra deep conditioning treatment. 

Please let me know if you have any questions and feel free to add your tips to the comments!

xoxo
anna <3




No comments:

Post a Comment